Activity: Learn about Irish wildlife through a simple guessing game
Learning Objectives: Investigate Irish wildlife and farm animals and how we can respect them in the natural environment
Links to Curriculum:
SESE Geography Strand: Natural Environments, Strand Unit: The Local Natural Environment
SESE Science Strand: Living Things, Strand Unit: Plants and Animals
SESE Geography and Science Strand: Environmental Awareness and Care, Strand Unit: Caring for My Locality
Time: 30 mins
Materials: A list of the Who Am I? Questions included below, an image of each animal, crayons, colouring pencils or markers
- Explain to children that you will be playing a guessing game about animals, and you are going to draw the answers on your sheet
- Have a copy of each animal.
- Read through the clues with the children and they have to guess what animal it is and draw them on their sheet.
- Read through each riddle below, give the children a few minutes after each one to guess what the animal is and to draw it in on their sheet.
- Talk with them about what the answer is.
- Have they ever seen any of these animals before? If so where did they see them? How did it make them feel? (e.g. surprised, excited)
I live in an underground tunnel system called a sett,
I am a nocturnal animal which means I only come out at night,
I eat slugs, beetles and lots of earthworms!
You would recognise me by the white stripe that runs down my head
I make my home in woodlands and hedgerows,
I like munching on all types of bugs: worms, slugs, earwigs and spiders,
I am a nocturnal animal so you won’t see me out during the day,
You would recognise me by my prickly exterior!
I am an arboreal animal which means I spend most of my time in trees,
I even make my nest in trees but I’m not a bird!
I have sharp front teeth that I use to split hazelnuts and tease seeds out of pinecones,
I have a long bushy tail that helps me keep my balance when I’m running up and down trees!
My name in Irish, Madra Uisce, means water dog,
As my name suggests I am an excellent swimmer!
I make my home on riverbanks, lakeshores and coastal areas,
I love munching on fish, eels and frogs
I am an amphibian which means I am cold blooded,
I make my home in nice moist places such as ponds, marshes or long grass,
My long back legs mean I am an excellent jumper!
I have no arms or legs!
I live in tunnels I create in the soil,
Although I have no eyes, my body can sense changes in light,
I eat the remains of leaves and plants in the soil
You can usually find me on a farm,
I have a thick fleece on my body that keeps me nice and warm in winter,
I even star in several well-known nursery rhymes!
Is it important to protect animals? Why?
Are there actions we can take to respect farm animals and wildlife when using the outdoors?
Download a resource sheet with everything you need to play the game: Who am I? Animal Guessing Game